Thursday 16 August 2012

Salad Yum a GO GO

Hello my lovely Peaches :D

What have you been up to this week? I have been really rather enjoying my time off school by drawing a lot and getting time to blog, yay! We're also going to a wedding in Kinross, Scotland this weekend that I'm just a tad excited for. My best friend Tie (who I will have known TEN WHOLE YEARS this September) will be there as she is also a Glasgee-ite and she is also about to become a momma! It's hard being so far away from her so I will be making the most of cuddling her belly - that is unless baba decides to make an impromptu arrival.

In other news I thought I'd share with you this amazing salad recipe we had the other night. I saw someone post about a similar one on Instagram and thought I'd give it a whirl, and boy is it good...

 
Ingredients:
  • Block of Hallumi
  • An Apple of your favourite variety, we had a pink lady mmmm
  • Salad leaves - again, which ever you choose really
  • Salad stuff - we chose wafer thin carrot, spring onion and sweet red pepper
  • Honey
  • Lemon Juice - we used jiff as we didn't have a lemon in and it was perfectly yum
  • Wholegrain Mustard
  • Olive Oil
Hallumi is a massive favourite of mine, although we don't get it that much. If you have never had it - it's a quite rubbery cheese that is packed full of flavour and is often a favourite as a meat substitute as it packs a punch.
I cut the Hallumi into thick chunks and grilled it in the oven. It has a tendency to leak a sort of milky liquid from it but once it starts to dry out it will turn golden brown.


Next the dressing. We had a couple of teaspoons of wholegrain mustard left in it's jar so I simply added oil and a good squeeze of lemon to taste. There's no exact science, just dib your finger in and taste as you go!

Cut up all your salad bits and the apple and put with the leaves. You can either dress your salad by pouring it over and tossing the salad (my preference) or have on the side (Mr Phil's preference!)
Next, once the Hallumi is looking nearly done, pour over a teaspoon or so of honey and return to the grill for 30 seconds. We had some Greek honey that Mr's Phil's dad brought us make - super sweet is it.


Et Voila...Yumsville! The honey works seriously well with the saltiness of the hallumi and the sweet/sour apple is so refreshing. This is definitely going to be a new routine in our house.

And it looks like Daisy is cunningly working out how to get her favourite topping for her own salad...she's so funny, sitting on the back of the sofa and making that funny trilling sound that cats do when they want to catch something. I swear sometimes she's going to dive head first at that window. It will probably happen sooner or later.


The Little Peach xx

No comments:

Post a Comment